Date:      30 Mar 2000 10:07:36 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printer compatibility

Ronald Klop <ronald@node11a94.a2000.nl> writes:

> I'm pleased it worked for you. Maybe you (or somebody else) wants to know
> why it is interuptdriven by default. It's because the installation can be
> done via a parallel port connection and than you need the interuptdriven
> port. So the GENERIC kernel is compiled that way. That other OS you
> mention can't install via the parallel port, so the problem does not occur
> there.

That's almost kinda right.  Actually, you want an interrupt-driven
port in any case, but there are different ways of handling the
interrupts for network versus printing use, and the default kernel is
set up for networking (for the reasons described above).

What you really want to do (the advice is somewhat version-dependent,
but definitely applies to 3.x, and I *think* to 4.0 as well, although
I can only check the former) is recompile the kernel to use "tty"
instead of "net" in the ppc device description.  Then you run your
printer in interrupt mode, which should be a lot more efficient than
polled mode.  Some hardware won't support interrupt mode anyway, but
you want to use it if you can.

> BTW: It would be nice if the port would switch automaticaly when you open
> the lpt device or the plip device.

Yes, that would be nice.  Got diffs?

Be well.