Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 17:49:00 +0100
From:      Alex <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        Stanley Chan <stan@cyberec.com>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re[2]: how to restrict the telnet

Hello Peter,

Sunday, March 24, 2002, 10:49:39 AM, you wrote:

PL> On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Stanley Chan wrote:

>> Dear sir, I am using the FreeBSD 4.3 to run my webserver. Can you
>> tell me how can I restrict anyone telnet to my machine except me.

You can use a firewall for this, if you are ok with on machine basis.
(man ipfw or man ipf)

On a site note: Please set you mailer to break your lines somewhere
near 72 char per line.

PL> You could run the daemon (binary, application) known as telnetd or have it
PL> run itself on-demand via inetd (type `man inetd` for more information) but
PL> you must be aware, telnet is not very secure.  At all.  ;)

If you are on a local intranet and you trust you users the securty
lack of telnet will not be much of an issue.

--
Best regards,
 Alex                            mailto:freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl