Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:53:29 +0200
From:      Sten Daniel Soersdal <netslists@gmail.com>
To:        fbsd2@a1poweruser.com
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 10Mbps versus 100Mbps Cable Modems

fbsd2 wrote:
> Comclark cable in Angeles City Philippines has changed
> from using 100Mbps Cable Modem to 10Mbps Cable Modem.
> To me this seems to be all wrong as all I see is slower response.
> Is there any technical or performance reason for any cable internet
> provider to downgrade their network subscribers cable modems
> from 100Mbps to 10Mbps?

That reason could be compatibility.

If you see slower response then perhaps something is wrong.
Perhaps you should call their support and verify that you do not have a
mismatched duplex setting?

Mismatched duplex can come from misbehaving autonegotiation or that one
end is set to full-duplex while the other end is set to half-duplex, or,
one end is set to full-duplex and the other end is set to auto-negotiate
(which results in falling back to half-duplex).

--
Sten Daniel Soersdal