Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 12:47:43 +0100 (CET)
From:      Toni Pisjak <pisjak@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        <danielb@pacex.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Admin <admin@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Subject:   RE: ipfw on multiple NICs

Hello !

It's a long time ago, that you wrote this message, but perhaps you still
remember what you did at that time, to setup your firewall.

These days i have the same problem, namely i cannot get the packages
*through* the firewall. They arrive at one NIC, but don't reach the other
NIC, though i tried all the suggestions explained below. Were these
suggestions sufficient for you, or did you have to do something
additional?

Thanks in advance: Toni.

On Sun, 9 May 1999, daniel B wrote:

> I am in the process of setting up a firewall for my internal Freebsd LAN
> The network looks like this:
>
> Internet-----[ DSL router ]----[ fbsd firewall ]----[  LAN  ]
>                               ep1             ep0
>
> I have compiled my kernel for IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
> Added support for net interface ep1 in kernel
> Enabled ipfw in the /etc/rc.conf
> and I am using the 'simple' rule-set in /etc/rc.firewall to test setup
> All machines (router, firewall and LAN) are on the same subnet /27
> All vital services DNS, HTTP and SMTP are running on the LAN machines
>
> My questions are:
> 1.) What kind of gateway or routing mechanism should I use to force
> incoming packets from the Internet to arrive at ep1 and pass through the
> firewall and to ep0 and to the LAN
>
> 2.) outgoing packets from LAN to pass through ep0, firewall, ep1, router
> and to the Internet.
>
> The LAN consept here is probably misleading because all machines are in
> the same /27 subnet.

Turn 'gateway_enable=YES' on in /etc/rc.conf, configure your interfaces,
add a default route, and you should be set to go.

I would _highly_ suggest saving some cash and setting up natd on the
firewall.

Doug White

Toni Pisjak                    Technische Universitaet Wien
pisjak@dbai.tuwien.ac.at       http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at