Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:26:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Peter <fbsdq@yahoo.com>
Cc:        mwm@mired.org, "Wes Peters" <wes@softweyr.com>, "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, "Randell Jesup" <rjesup@wgate.com>, "Terry Lambert" <tlambert@primenet.com>, "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@wintelcom.net>, "josb@cncdsl.com" <josb@cncdsl.com>, "chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DJBDNS vs. BIND

:my FreeBSD box.  I even look at the .db files of passwd/master.passwd, and I still dont'
:get why BSD didn't just stick with plaintext versions of those as most other unixes have
:[well I only know of Linux and the fresh install of Solaris 8 here].

    Mmmmmm.... because when you have thousands of user accounts having the
    password file DBMd makes things like 'ls -la', 'top', or anything else
    that has to lookup a username (read: lots of programs) a whole lot faster.

    But I agree on the registry thingy... there is simply no real benefit
    to throwing the config data for all sorts of unrelated programs together
    into one database, and the downside is massive.

						-Matt