Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 11:11:59 +0100
From:      "Paul Goodyer" <paul.goodyer@digitalmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <paul.goodyer@digitalmail.com>
Subject:   Free BSD, Completely stuck, please help!

Help!

I have recently purchased FreeBSD and the "Complete FreeBSD" book and have
spent the whole weekend trying to install it. I have a Pentium 2 P233 (32MB)
with a number of harddisks installed. I have been trying to install BSD on
the 3rd harddisk which is 1GB (set as the primary disk on the second IDE
port).

I have been booting from floppy and then installing from the CDROM.

I keep having the same error "Panic: Cannot Mount Root"). Everything seems
to be fine on install, the system seems to boot OK, but as soon as it tries
to mount the filesystem the same thing happens.

The disk geometry is 2105/16/63  (for Cylinders/Heads/Sectors respectively).
I have read about the problems with EIDE disks over 504MB and have tried a
number of things. I started by using the whole disk for BSD on a single
slice. I then tried using two slices (making the first the bootable). The
first slice was 50MB and labelled root, whilst the remainder of the disk was
divided between SWAP, /usr and /var.

I have noticed that when I restart using the boot floppy and go into the
installation again and look at the label editor, although I does know about
the slices, the mount field always says *, (not /, /usr or /var).

I have real high hopes of BSD, and want to get it running ASAP, but at the
moment I am completely stuck.

Please can someone help, thanks

Paul

Dr Paul D.Goodyer