Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2008 10:27:38 +0100
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Documentation on writing a custom socket

On Saturday 08 March 2008, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Mar 2008, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> For example, do you
> anticipate using or even needing the routing facilities, and how might you
> map ISDN telephony parts into the normal network stack infrastructure of
> addresses, routing, interfaces, etc?

Hi Robert,

ISDN is very simple. In the ISDN world there is a term called TEI which is the
Terminal Entity Identifier. This kind of like an IP address.

Besides from the signalling there are 2 B-channels which can transport data or
audio. One of my goals is to achive zero copy when moving data to/from an
ISDN line and also in combination to Voice over IP. Currently data is moved
through userland (Asterisk typically) which is usable in the short term, but
in the long run I want this extra copying removed. The idea is that I can
route [IP] packets (mbufs) through various filters in the kernel without the
need for copy.

--HPS