Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:02:33 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
To:        Sanjay Bhattacharya <sanbh@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Linux or Solaris

Sanjay Bhattacharya wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
>   I have a question for you. I am running a network consisting of an
> internal network of 30 clients running win9x boxes. I am running a DMZ which
> contains an email server, an web server, a dns server and a caching proxy server. My
> gateway box is connected to a cisco router which is connected to the net. My
> gateway box is also connected to the internal network and the dmz. The Win9x
> clients need access to the caching proxy, email server and dns. Now what
> kind of OS do you guys suggest for the box hosting the caching proxy server and
> the box hosting the gateway? Performance wise which'll give me the best:
> Linux, Solaris of FreeBSD? I thank you guys in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Sanjay

This is of course a question of personal taste, but I would
probably choose FreeBSD. On small or medium size networks and on
x86 hardware I find it hard to beat fbsd's performance.
Linux is gaining performance wise, they have made some
significant improvements lately, but Linux still gives me an icky
feeling. I just cant sleep well at night if I have to trust Linux
to run my servers.
Solaris sure is stable enough to be trusted, but performance wise
it takes very expensive hardware to match freebsd. Solaris on
i386 is just bad.

I would go with FreeBSD, but as I already said, thats just my
personal opinion.