Date:      Thu, 9 Jun 2005 17:10:05 -0400
From:      Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RX (download) limit problem

Hi all,

I've been digging around for over a week now and am either too slow=20
to find what I need in the docs or via google, so I thought I'd stop lurkin=
g=20
and see
if anyone can either help me, or slap me in the head.

I've been seeing a strange problem with my 5.4-STABLE freebsd=20
firewall/router=20
for about a month now and I can't for the life of me explain (or fix) it.

It can be summed up as: "any type of download seems to be limited at less=
=20
than=20
30 kB/s". I'm normally seeing around 26 kB/s and sometimes a bit higher. I'=
m=20

connecting to a known high bandwidth public site as my performance test.=20
Internal
transfers on my LAN work fine, but nothing out of the firewall (either from=
=20
a machine
behind it or the firewall itself) can get a decent rate.

I suspect my FreeBSD config, since my linux box (when directly connected) o=
r=20
an
openBSD box are seeing transfers rates in excess of 200kB/s when fetching=
=20
the same file.

I'm running pppoe over a 3 meg DSL loop, using ipfilter and ipnat as my=20
weapons
of choice. I'm willing to try alternatives (i.e. pf), but I don't think it=
=20
is my configurations
for ipfilter and/or ipnat that are the problems. I've tried turning them=20
down to almost
nothing and haven't seen any changes at all in the limit.

The closest thing I found that describes a similar problem is:
http://freebsdaddicts.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3D575

But trying what is suggested in that thread didn't help at all.

In talking to some openBSD guys we had a theory that it might be something=
=20
like=20
the upload and download being kept symmetric and hence so low on the=20
download
side. In openBSD I've seen it solved using altq's but I can't find an=20
equivalent in
freeBSD without going to pf as my packet filter.

ifconfig shows:

fxp0: flags=3D8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
options=3D8<VLAN_MTU>
inet6 fe80::202:b3ff:fe24:3797%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
ether 00:02:b3:24:37:97
media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP)
status: active
fxp1: flags=3D8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
options=3D8<VLAN_MTU>
inet6 fe80::202:b3ff:fe24:8182%fxp1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
inet 10.*.*.* netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 10.255.255.255<http://10.255.255=
.255>
ether 00:02:b3:24:81:82
media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP)
status: active
plip0: flags=3D108810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
lo0: flags=3D8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
inet 127.0.0.1 <http://127.0.0.1>; netmask 0xff000000
tun0: flags=3D8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1452
inet 66.*.*.* --> 66.*.*.* netmask 0xffffff00
Opened by PID 242

I've tried everything from forcing full-duplex media, to tweaking any any=
=20
every
suggested tcp setting I could get at, none have an impact on the limit. I'l=
l=20
leave
those details out for now in the interest of not too long an email.

Right now I'd be happy enough with RTFM and/or someone else who at least
recognizes the problem.

Cheers,

Bruce

--=20
"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee a=
t=20
its end"