Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:52:01 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Summoner <summoner@uswest.net>
Cc:        John Armstrong <siberian@siberian.org>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

On Friday, 23 July 1999 at 18:10:16 -0700, Summoner wrote:
> John Armstrong wrote:
>> Just make sure
>> root always has a base sh shell for emergencies and your set.
>
> Excuse my newbieness, but why should I have sh for root?  So that if
> when screw over my installation again I still have a shell for single
> user mode and (hopefully) fix things?  Or does base shell mean
> something else?

The canonical answer is "sh is statically linked, so it doesn't need
the dynamic libraries in /usr/lib, and can thus run in single user
mode".  The problem with this answer is that when you boot in
single-user mode, the system prompts you for your shell (and defaults
to /bin/sh, whatever your root shell is).  The fact is, there is no
longer any good reason.

Greg