Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 18:57:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ed Vander Bush <ed@42interactive.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAKDEV not making devices

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Ed Vander Bush wrote:

> I have compiles sound support into my kernel
>
> snip...
> Aug  5 01:54:51 intrigue /kernel:
> Aug  5 01:54:52 intrigue /kernel: NOTE! SB Pro support required with your
> soundcard!
> Aug  5 01:54:52 intrigue /kernel: snd0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
> snip ...

... ?  Please post the section of your kernel config with the sound setup.

> And before I rebooted I did (as root)
>
> cd /dev
> sh MAKEDEV snd0
>

> it chugged for a moment and returned me to my prompt
>
> Nothing reported

Normal UNIX procedure -- assume it worked unless it said it didn't.

> Yet the only dev under dev containing the string snd is sndstat

Also normal.  You're looking for /dev/audio probably.

> Why can't I make the device name?
>
> Also I am compiling sb0 into my kernel as Sound Blaster Pro, Why does it
> say it is required above?  Thanks!!!

You should have

controller snd0
device sb0 at isa? port X irq Y drq Z

at minumum, with X Y and Z replaced appropriately.

Doug White