Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 01:39:01 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Jim Morrisby <Jim@saca.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD loader problems (dual/multi boot)

Jim Morrisby wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Please mail me back at: jim@saca.net as I am not currently subscribed to
> this list.
>
> I am experiencing problems with the loader in FreeBSD, it worked great until
> I installed win2k and win98 on the machine - as these
> kinda redo the MBR. I reset the BSD partition active, but when i rebooted, i
> ONLY have BSD to boot from.
> I am have to set an active partition for which ever OS i want to run, this
> is rather annoying!
>
> I know I need to reconfigure the loader, but I have no idea where to start.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> The Linux equiv for the above is:       hda1 - bsd
>                                 hda2 - win98
>                                 hda3 - win2k

What I did was copy /boot/boot1 onto my Windows boot partition as
bootsec.bsd. Then, I added c:\bootsec.bsd="FreeBSD" as an item in my
boot.ini. It starts out as "shr" and you have to unattrib it, edit it,
and then re-attrib +s +h =r boot.ini. You leave the partition where
W2K is booting from as your active and everything is OK!. In my case,
FreeBSD in on my primary master, otherwise I would have had to make
/boot/boot0 my bootsec.bsd.

Kent

> Thanks
> Jim

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html