Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:20:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        frank@torontowiredsolutions.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk Quotas

>  Now I want to limit the users to only 2 Megs of space.  What is it that I
>  have to put in the hard block limits to get to 2 megs of space.
>
>  I tried putting soft to  0 and hard to 2000 and I save the vi session
>  edquota put me in.  I then try to upload a 190 kb file and it keeps telling
>  me that I have exceeded my disk quota and does not try to upload the file.

The quota system counts disk BLOCKS (actually file fragments). The number
of bytes in a block is determined by how you made your filesytem. To
determine this use the command disklabel(8):

	# disklabel -r da0	# or wd0 for IDE

look for the partition that the quota system is mounted upon and see what
is the file fragment size:

#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  e:  1606500  1686825    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.  105 - 204)
                                     ^^^^
I will assume 1K/per block from here out...

sounds like you set things correctly, though I would agrue that 2048 (K) blocks
is 2MB. it is possible that this user has files in other subdirectories in
this partition. First use the program quota(1):

	# quota -v USER

to see how many blocks the quota facility believes this person is using.
("repquota -a" is easier, if you are doing this for several people).