Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 07:03:57 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Kruppa, Peter Ulrich" <root@pukruppa.de>, "Bill Schoolcraft" <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        "Eric Colburn" <ecolburn@seeitfirst.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.3 FreeBSD

> > I wanted to clarify whether you "re-install" with the new release
on
> > CD or "up-grade" with the new release on CD.
> Upgrading will leave your configuration-files and your applications
> untouched, reinstalling would destroy your configs and leave your
apps
> alive.
> Only when you really format or change your partitions-layout
everything
> will be redone.

I only tried one "upgrade" & that did mess the system up totally. Mind
you I didn't
read up on the ins & outs so possibly it will work with a bit of
effort. However I've
done so many fresh installs ...  got into the habit with Windows :)
.....that I could
probably do them in my sleep, and with a relatively basic setup its
not a major
undertaking anyway.

> > If you "upgrade" what packages do you "choose" to install from the
> > newer CD to the older release ?

The only time I tried an "upgrade" I didn't get that far .... it
crashed before that..

I'll be building a 4.3 system as soon as I can get a 4.3 RELEASE ISO
and I'll try
an upgrade from 4.1 ..... will also run CVSUP on that & try a
buildworld etc.
Judging from the postings from people having problems that appear
attributable to
CVSUP though it does look like a recipe for trouble. Anyway (as we say
in OZ)
I'll "have a go ya mug" & if it proves to be Trouble I'll revert to
the "install a
RELEASE version & leave it alone til the next one" approach.