Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 1996 22:58:56 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: Fixit #2

As Bruce Evans wrote:

> I noticed the following bugs and limitations with this:
> - it only mounts /dev/fd0, but I made my first fixit floppy for /dev/fd1
>   and it was 5.25-3.5 inches too wide to fit in /dev/fd0 :-).

sysinstall should also fsck it automagically if it cannot be mounted.
This solves the problem when your machine died while the fixit was
mounted.

> - the utilities on the fixit floppy aren't anything like the ones I
>   would prefer, and there aren't enough of them although there's
>   plenty of room to spare.
>
> I'd prefer to have a bootable fixit floppy.  Then there wouldn't be
> room to spare.

I'd prefere a semi-bootable fixit floppy.  Everything that's needed
for the actual system, but no kernel.  This should still leave plenty
of space.  If the install floppy isn't good for you, you can always
create a boot floppy by simply newfs'ing, and copying /kernel over to
it.  Then swap floppies while the boot is proceeding.  (If you're
paranoid, boot with -c, swap floppies, then type `q'.)

There are more things missing, for example i'd like to see a simple
ps(1) that's procfs-based.

--
cheers, J"org