Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 16:46:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "nate" <freebsd@aphroland.org>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   how to do a binary upgrade on a live system?

i have been using freebsd for a couple years(off and on)
one thing i have never done much of is upgrading. from what
i have seen sofar, there doesn't seem to be an elegant way
to perform a binary upgrade on a freebsd system. most of
my background is debian, and it is normal for me to upgrade
a running system  to the next minor, or even major release
without any need for shutdown/reboot or anything. e.g I
upgraded my debian 2.2 workstation to 3.0 last august, and still
have not rebooted, uptime of 376 days sofar. I do periodic
upgrades every couple of months, usually 100-200 packages
get upgraded each time. with about 800 packages getting upgraded
during the major number change 2.2->3.0

the freebsd install docs say to use the sysinstall with
the version of freebsd that i am upgrading to. I am upgrading
to 4.5 from 4.4(clean install). I am doing this just to see
what the upgrade process goes like.  I would like to avoid
a source upgrade, I still have a real bad taste in my mouth
when I tried to do a source upgrade on openbsd 2.8 last year.

however, I cannot find a sysinstall binary on the freebsd 4.5
install cd. i mounted it, and did a find . -name sysinstall and
it came back with nothing. please don't tell me i have to boot
from something to upgrade!! a major showstopper for openbsd
for me was the fact that to do a binary upgrade I had to
boot from the cdrom/floppy(from what i read/understood at
the time of 2.8 anyways). which is very very difficult for
remote machines.

I am running this test mainly to decide whether or not to
upgrade my existing freebsd server(only have 1 sofar). so
if i trash this system in the process it doesn't matter.
nothing is on it.

reasons i don't want to a source install:
- takes a long time
- the system installs a lot of development packages to do
the compile work(packages i don't need on a production system)
- at least on openbsd 2.8, when I tried to upgrade, it tried to
install stuff that I did not have installed, such as kerberos,
I am not sure if freebsd's upgrade is similar or not
- compile may fail. again, with the openbsd 2.8 upgrade I got
memory errors when trying to compile, maybe its a bad ram
chip, but the system ran fine for 6+ months(and ever since
running on debian) leaving a half upgraded/broken system. this
test system, is almost identical to the system that ran openbsd
last year, though it has 1/2 the amount of RAM.
- I am not interested in doing any special tuning for the system,
the defaults are fine
- I am not a developer so i cannot audit the source at all(though
I have been compiling apps for a long time ..)

thanks!

nate
(hoping for good news)