Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 11:21:37 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        "Dr. Hein" <s.hein@spinner.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrades [each time more trouble]

"Dr. Hein" wrote:
> Upgrading from one FreeBSD version to the next release,
> which  I have repeatedly, successfully, and very happily
> accomplished since FreeBSD Release 2.7  [each time with
> an increasing set of troubles, though] seems to be by now
> [with  release 4.3] a matter of high expertise. - At least,
> it has apparenty become a task for persons, who have not to
> care very much about time as I [a numerical analyst, who mainly
> wants to run rapidly  his many applications]. In fact, I really
> can't afford to look for - and chase through - hundreds of
> loosely distributed man pages, only to get the line printer
> up and running, for instance.
> [I won't speak about the gloating grin of the Linux party liners
> under my colleagues, observing me].

If your Linux friends are gloating grinners, they are probably filthy
liars as well. Linux is a great system, but it's far from perfect. I
have trouble believing that you have many, many problems and they have
none.

> To be concrete in some examples:
> After installing  cups, for instance - why does the pertinent
> printer setup and configuration tool [QT-CUPS, or CUPS WWW.admin.tool]
> not automatically appear in the KDE  Task Manager  [as the two
> do under Mandrake Linux, e.g.] ?

Have you emailed the maintainer of the cups port to let him know about
this? It's unlikely to get fixed if someone doesn't point out the
problem.

> Or:  past a regular apsfilter setup [completely done in the very
> familiar way], why  leads the  first printer call [lp  file1, e.g.]
> to an error message ['lp: error - no default destination available'
> - without any further explication or indication to the non-expert,
> where this may be cured of. - The printer 'lp' was explicitely
> mentioned in the setup configuration] ? And why, by heavens!
> is the 'default destination' of lp not simply made 'available',
> possibly on request, on running apsfilter setup ?

Once again, have you contacted the port maintainer? There are people who
take care of these things, and while they can't fix everything
immediately, they have no chance of fixing something that they don't
know about.

> These and further [formerly not encountered] complications may
> have their reasons and justifications. - What I, and certainly
> some other average users, primarily notice is that FreeBSD
> installation and upgrading is becoming each time less handy.

I'll have to say that I haven't noticed that myself. It's been my
experience that the quality and usability of the system continues to
improve with each new version.

> In our company, I fight a hard struggle for the use and maintanance
> of Open Source systems,  in general, and  FreeBSD, in particular.

You may consider spending a portion of that fight to helping make the
sytem better. That's what open source is about, right?

> With respect to the outcome of this battle I could be more optimistic,
> if I hadn't to spend so many [and each time more] hours for
> post installation/upgrade  tuning of FreeBSD - beside and
> sometimes instead doing my proper job.

What was the point to this email? If you have a specific problem, file a
pr or email the port maintainer or someone else actually working on that
part of the system. Open source software doesn't get better by people
sitting around moaning that it should be better.
You have, at the least, a responsibility to make the developers aware of
the problems you find. I understand that not everyone is a programmer,
but if users don't point out problems, developers don't always know of
their existence.
You imply that there are many worsening problems in the FreeBSD system,
and yet you only give two examples of problems that can truely be
followed up on. If those are the only two problems you've come across,
I'd say you're exagerating the problem. If there are more problems than
that, then you need to report them in detail to the people who can fix
them (port maintainers, etc)

-Bill

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?