Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 03:57:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ld.so failed: bad magic

Greetings:

I now have 3.3 up and running on 3 different machines.

I don't know what I did but, on one of them, a laptop, I installed
Netscape which failed to start upon not finding /usr/libexec/ld.so.

I found that ld.so was in /usr/libexec/libexec, and moved it to
/usr/libexec.

Now I get the following error message:

$ /usr/local/netscape/netscape
/usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: /usr/lib/libg++.so.4: minor version -1 older
than expected 0, using it anyway
ld.so failed: bad magic number in "/usr/lib/libg++.so.4"

All my other X applications seem to be working on this machine.

The ld man page on my system, and the ld.so man page in the 3rd Edition
of The Complete BSD don't seem to address my particular problem.

I know I could always re-install 3.3.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ken Seggerman

ken_seggerman@suleyman.com