Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:44:08 +1100
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>, "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, kris@obsecurity.org
Subject:   Re: rand.c patch for review (was: Re: cvs commit: ports/astro/xglobe/files patch-random)

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 03:17:57AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> I know of at least two games which depend on the random number
> generator producing repeatable results in order to have maps
> that are actually fully navigable.  I rather doubt their vendors
> will carry around their own working generators so that their
> code will run on FreeBSD, if it runs on Linux without such hacks.

Relying on that sort of specific behaviour of joe Unix's rand()
function, and you're calling _what_ a hack?

That sort of assumption is simply insane, and frankly I don't
believe you for a minute.  (Well, OK: never underestimate
stupidity, I guess...)

Sure, rand() should produce the same results after successive
calls to srand() with the same seed: that's what the spec says.
Nothing anywhere has ever said that these _sequences_ should be
portable between machines.

--
Andrew