Date:      Wed, 7 May 2003 17:54:59 -0700
From:      Joshua Oreman <oremanj@webserver.get-linux.org>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for good book on compiling, linking, ...

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 08:56:59PM -0400 or thereabouts, Jim Freeze seemed to write:
> Hi
>
> I am looking for a good book on autoconfig, compiling and linking.
> I find myself doing a lot of installs on Solaris, FreeBSD and
> Mac OS X, and run across a lot of similar issues. However,
> I feel that I am missing some fundamentals on things like
> compiler options, library types, linking options, and how
> shared libraries are searched for.
>
> Does a book exist that covers such issues, or am I left
> to wonder the man page forest searching for scraps of
> knowledge and insight. ;)

I know it's not about FreeBSD, but the commands are similar for
both platforms, and I found _SAMS'_Teach_Yourself_Linux_Programming 's
first 6 chapters to be great info about this stuff.

But, as always, man and info pages are the ultimate reference.

HTH,
-- Josh