Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:26:22 -0800 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD: The Storage Wars

> # > I certainly never said that, though I do believe that FreeBSD is
> # > more stable than Linux for a variety of other reasons. :)  Of course,
> # > you know that arguing the stability of Linux vs. FreeBSD on a FreeBSD
> # > won't necessarily always get unbiased remarks in response.
> #
> # 	I have to agree though... I'm kinda past being a newbie myself.
> # Now I need a way to learn the more advanced stuff. 'We' are desperatly in
> # need of good documenation....:)
>
> And here is where we as a volunteer project need your help.  Pick
> any part of the system, play around with it, tweak some knobs,
> write up what you've learned and send it to us. :)

	I have been working on it. :) My problem is that I'm am still from
the DOS world. I have a hard time thinking like a Unix person still,
mostly because I don't know how to do so. Secondly, pretty much jumping in
feet first I know I'm making mistakes that may cause problems down the
road, i.e. when I install a package, where should I download the file too?
Does it matter? Where should I untar it too? How much swap space is
enough? Those are the kinds of questions I have. I've read a few system
administrator books. Mostly I learned to do regular backups and to make
sure I have adequete power backup system. Is there a Zen for Unix
Administrators? :)

						Rick

www.grendal.org