Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:44:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        John Horan <Jhoran@nas.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: video

John Horan wrote to FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

The following two answers apply to the local console only. If you're
logging in remotely, this won't apply.

> I have FreeBSD v4 on an IBM Netfinity 4500.  When I try to run
> sysinstall, the graphics borders aren't drawn with line characters.
> Instead the borders show up with letters.

Try loading a different screen font--maybe your video adapter's default
font is not so great. You can do this with vidcontrol(1), or you can do it
right from sysinstall, under Configure, under Console.

> Also, in this mode, the system will not respond to the keyboard arrow
> keys or the mouse.  I've tried changing keyboards but no difference.
> Any ideas?

Try changing your keymap. You can do this, as well, in the Console
configuration menu of sysinstall. Choose the keymap that most closely
matches your keyboard type. The default one fits most standard North
American keyboards.

If you're logged in remotely, none of the above applies. Check your
terminal type setting (echo $TERM). It is probably a problem with your
shell client's terminal emulation.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon