Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 08:43:03 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        modF <modf@home.com>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HD Space requirements?

* modF <modf@home.com> [20001220 08:08]: writing on the subject 'HD Space requirements?'
=>Greetings,
=>	I have been searching the site and the FAQ's for information on a
=>"typical" installation.  My question is what is the recommended space
=>requirement for BSD?  I have an OLD (P133) sitting here collecting
=>dust,  all of the hardware is supported from the list.  But I can not find
=>anything about a space requirement. I have a few drives sitting around, 1.2
=>gig, 500 meg, and a few 2gig drives, so there is a bit of junk variety.

I am running quite a number of apps (not games) on a 2GB drive. I even
have the srcs on it, runs X Windows and here is the usage as it stands...

wash:/usr/home/wash$ df -h
Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s2a    48M    30M    15M    66%    /
/dev/ad0s2f   1.7G   1.4G   175M    89%    /usr
/dev/ad0s2e    53M    10M    39M    20%    /var

My swap takes 240MB (but that is only because I have little space) instead
of 320M (Memory X2).
So you're pretty lucky you can run with maybe 4 disks and even have games
on ;-). Typically you do not need more than 50MB for / as you can see
mine and in my view you've more than you need.

HTH

=>
=>Thanks for the help!
=>--Mike
=>
=>
=>
=>To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
=>with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
=>

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke 5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts. -Dan Quayle,
US Vice President