Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:23:13 -0500
From:      Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VIA crahes - solved (it seems)!

Nils Holland wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> this may well be my last report on the system crashes I (and probably also
> other people) have seen on VIA 686B boards.
>
> Basically, ever since I did my latest CVSup on Saturday and rubilt world as
> well as the kernel, even the most demanding tests would not allow me to
> crash my machine. The strange thing is that my previous kernel was exactly
> from one week ago. At that time Soren's 686B fixes were already in place,
> and a message about the fix being applied even showed up in my dmesg.boot.
> So, I don't really know why this week's sources work so well, as there were
> basically no dramatic changes since the week before. But instead of
> wondering about it, I'll be happy that it works instead ;-)
>
> I'll keep my eyes on this and in case new problem should occur with any of
> my future (weekly) updates, I will report them. I do, however, think that
> the problem may now be successfully fixed *for good*, and would like to
> thank the people who worked on this. Special thanks to Soren, who created
> the fix, and of course to Matt, who worked hard on debugging my problems,
> when initially it seemed as if something was wrong with the NFS code.
> Thanks folks ;-)
>
> Greetings
> Nils

Is the built-in sound working as well?  I've got this board and I see
this...

# dmesg | grep pcm
pcm0: <VIA VT82C686A> port 0xe400-0xe403,0xe000-0xe003,0xdc00-0xdcff irq
7 at device 7.5 on pci0

...and this...

# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Dec 21 2001 14:11:39
Installed devices:
pcm0: <VIA VT82C686A> at io 0xdc00 irq 7 (1p/1r/0v channels duplex)

...but sound doesn't seem to be working.  When I use splay to try to play
an mp3 I get this...

$ splay -v The_Zambonis_-_I_Wanna_Drive_The_Zamboni.mp3
The_Zambonis_-_I_Wanna_Drive_The_Zamboni.mp3:
Cannot open /dev/dsp or /dev/sound/dsp!
splay: Failed to open sound device.

I've got "device pcm" in my kernel config file and have done a
"cd /dev; sh ./MAKEDEV snd0".  Is anything else required to get
sound on this board working?

Daniel Frazier  <dfrazier@magpage.com>   Tel:  302-239-5900 Ext. 231
Systems Administrator                    Fax:  302-239-3909
MAGPAGE, We Power the Internet           WWW:  http://www.magpage.com/

         - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.