Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 13:17:24 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        xiyuan@npc.haplink.co.cn
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, steve@cioeserv.cioe.com
Subject:   Re: Urgent!

> Hi, one of my important host runnig under FreeBSD2.1.0-release suddenly showed "syncing disk 4 3 3 2 2 1" and reboot after 15 seconds, but it can NOT reboot just halt at:
> Boot:

The root file system needs cleaning, but you can't clean it until
you've booted... 8-(

> How can I fix it, with fixit.flp disk???.

Boot with the installation disk, and select the item from the menu
that says "use fixit floppy" (or words to that effect).

> How can I get some important files from the disk that I have no backup???

If you have another FreeBSD machine that you can take down for a few
minutes, the simplest way is to put the disk in the other machine,
mount whichever partition has your data on and copy it over. (You may
need to run fsck on the partition first).

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk