Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 20:46:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kwoody <kwoody@citytel.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   tcpdump and tun0

I run ppp -auto -alias <isp> and ppp tries to connect when there are no
process's that ( I think) trying to call it and therefor dial out.

I have run tcpdump -i tun0 > dump.log as a test to see what shows up but
the log remains empty yet ppp calls out. I have tried it without the
-alias switch thinking that it might be one of my other machines trying
to call out, but the same thing happens.

Is there another way to see what is calling ppp to dial out? Is ppp
suppoed to do this? I thought with the -auto mode, only when something
wants a ppp connetion does it dial out, then after timeout (or I kill it)
will the connection drop, then it waits for the next request.

Thanks,
Keith