Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 19:51:43 -0400
From:      Mark Thomas <thomas@clark.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   X port font problem

I installed a new video card in a 3.2 stable machine today, running
XFree86-3.3.3. To get it running I needed to build a new server (Mach64).
There didn't seem to be a straightforward way to build just the new server,
so I decided to make clean/make to rebuild the entire port. This went
without a hitch, and I now have the server I need.

The problem arose when I started to install the port without first
deinstalling the previous version. Make install complained and instructed
me to make deinstall, then make reinstall. A subsequent make deinstall
complained about numerous missing files, an invalid packing list, and
proceeded to delete part of the previous install. The following make
reinstall seemed to work, but didn't install any fonts under
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts.

Since then I've done all combinations of make deinstall/make install/make
reinstall that make sense with the same results.

I'm now thinking that I cvsupped the port collection since my X install,
and perhaps that has something to do with it. Still, I would think the
packing list for the installed port would be accurate.

I've now re cvsupped the ports, and am remaking XFree86-3.3.4. I'm hoping a
clean build of this will get me up and running again.

Anyone have a pointer as to what went wrong here?

Mark
---
thomas@clark.net ---> http://www.clark.net/pub/thomas
PBEM Eldritch --------> http://www.pbegames.com