Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 15:59:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Eric I. Arnoth" <earnoth@UDel.Edu>
To:        Doug <dougc1@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compaq smartstations

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Doug wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    Has anyone used freebsd on a Compaq LTE ELITE 4/75CX with the
> smartstation dock station? I can't figure out how to get it to reconigze the
> built in ethernet card during install. Any responses would be helpful.

Doug, my input will be anything *but* helpful, I fear.  If you've paid
attention to my recent mails, you'll know that I was in the market for a
new laptop.  The main reason for that was the Compaq Presario laptop I had
wouldn't let FreeBSD use the 3Com Etherlink III 3c589D PCCard.  I've come
to learn the hard way that Compaq is tortuously _proprietary_.  My hunch
is, if I couldn't get a Compaq laptop to cooperate with FBSD on what
should have been *standard* hardware, you may have even less luck with a
docking station, which is fairly proprietary by its very nature.  You may
have to take my route and buy a new machine (I chose Toshiba) and sell
your Compaq.

To those who are curious, btw, my Toshiba build went perfectly.  I sized
down the installed Windows98 (reasons out of my control necessitate that
damned system!) FIPSed the partitioning table, installed FreeBSD via the
PCCard mentioned above, and accomplished all that in four hours, including
the install of all ports I use.  I've been leisurely reconfiguring my
FreeBSD 3.1 system now for my work over the course of the day, and am
*VERY* pleased with Toshiba as a brand.  My only complaint is that the
keyboard doesn't have meta-left and meta-right keys (Win keys) at the
bottom, and the list key is also uptop.  Does anyone know how to configure
XKB so that I can make use of those?

-Eric