Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:12:34 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
To:        Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
Cc:        FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Periodic mails

Paul Everlund wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Jan Grant wrote:
*snip*

>>In which case, NO, YES, NO, YES. And then the answer to your question is
>>(pretty closely) yes. Only localhost can originate mail; you should
>>still be able to target mail to an offsite address; you need to fiddle
>>with sendmail if you want to turn that facility off.
>

> Thanks again for your reply!
>
> I'm not using mail on any of my FreeBSD boxes, so I lack some
> understanding how it all works. I at least do not want anyone
> to use my boxes for relaying spam mail.
>
> And as English isn't my native language I must ask this to be
> sure I understand you correct, and I only need a yes or no...
>
> With the proposed setup, "NO", "YES", "NO", "YES", no one from
> the outside can relay mail via my box?
>
> With the proposed setup, I can only send mail from localhost?
>
> With the setup, am I allowed to send mail to other computers
> than localhost? (Don't want this if I can avoid it.)
>
> If the answers are "correct", "yes" and "no" it's the setup I
> want. :-)
>
> Thanks once more for your answers.
>
> Best regards,
> Paul

If it helps, feel free to email me directly and explain your
exact problem and wishes in swedish and I will try to help you
out. Swedish is my native language and Im fairly experienced in
the ways of Sendmail so Im sure we can figure it out.

Basically, using sendmail_enable=NO should allow you to send mail
from localhost, but not from any other host. This is probably
what you want.
As for stopping people from relaying spam through you, newer
versions of sendmail has pretty tight relay settings by default
so I dont think you need to worry. If you want to, I could help
you test it and/or explain how to adjust the relay rules yourself.