Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 10:51:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      thursday@altavista.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   promiscuous mode

Hi,

My FreeBSD machine is connected to the internet via an sdsl line. I'm running sendmail, httpd, ssh, and natd for my two windows machines to have net access (with a wide-open firewall since I've never been able to get firewall_type=simple to allow natd to do its work--but that's for another email.)

This morning the security check output mailed to root contained this:

<machine.domain.com> kernel log messages:
> rl0: promiscuous mode enabled

My questions are: how did this happen, and how can I take it out of promiscuous mode?

Bear in mind, I don't know much about promiscuous mode other than it's bad for security.

Thanks for any help you can give me!