Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 09:24:00 +0300
From:      lisa.wanglei@nokia.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   "Amd" problem on FreeBSD

Dear Sir,

I was writing this letter hoping you can release me from the problem I've
suffered for a long time.

I have a NIS server running HPUX 11.0,and I configured my FreeBSD (2.2.7) as
a NIS client.  I want the FreeBSD to share the /projects directory on NIS
server by 'amd'.

So I create a map file(/etc/amd.projects on FreeBSD) for /projects like

/defaults
type:=nfs;fs:=/projects/${key};rhost:=peony;rfs:=/projects/${key}
*               opts:=rw,grpid,nosuid

('peony' is the name of the NIS server)

And issue the command like
# /usr/sbin/amd -r -w 240 -l syslog /projects /etc/amd.projects

Everything seems OK. But when I do:
#cd /projects
#cd sys		// 'sys' is the subdirectory's name of /projects

This command blocked there, after a long time, it give me an information as
"nfs server amd:23369: not responding",
and still block there.

I use `amq -m` to check the state, `amq -m` gives me

"root"                ait:(pid23369)  root    1   localhost is up
/dev/sd0s2a           /               ufs     1   localhost is up
/dev/sd0s2g           /home           ufs     1   localhost is up
/dev/sd0s2h           /project        ufs     1   localhost is up
/dev/sd0s2d           /public         ufs     1   localhost is up
/dev/sd0s2f           /usr            ufs     1   localhost is up
/dev/sd0s2e           /var            ufs     1   localhost is up
/etc/amd.projects     /projects       toplvl  1   localhost is up
peony:/projects/sys   /projects/sys   nfs     1   peony.apac.nokia.com
is up (in progress)

Why it progressing for so long time?

I tried NFS mounting directly like this:
# /sbin/mount peony:/projects/sys /mtest
It works OK.

So, where is the problem on? Is it possible for FreeBSD to share 'map' file
with other system?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards!

Wanglei