Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:41:34 +0200
From:      Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
To:        Carlos A M dos Santos <casantos@cpmet.ufpel.tche.br>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ldd and BSDI binaries

Hi there,

Take this for example:

ldd /bin/sh
ldd: /bin/sh: not a dynamic executable

file /bin/sh
/bin/sh: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD),
statically linked, stripped

This means that the file is staticly compiled and doesn't need to make
reference to any libraries.  It therefore doesn't require those
libraries at run time, as opposed to dynamically compiled programs which
do.

The most common use is for critical programs (like /bin/sh) so that they
can be used even in the even of all your libraries being corrupted.

Cheers,
Marc