Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 19:04:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Joseph T. Lee" <nugundam@best.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: static route setup problems

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Joseph T. Lee wrote:

> Hi, I'm having difficulting with routing which searching the mailing lists
> and reading the man page have not helped.
>
> My fbsd machine (A) is on the same physical segment behind a hub with 2
> other machines (B,C).  Machines A/B/C each have a real IP, but the IPs
> are not on the same subnet (due to stupid cable modem IP distribution).

Now THAT is bizarre.  Never seen that level of stupidity from cable
modems.  Send me the network info via private mail .. I want to check this
out.

> I've gotten B/C to see each other directly with the route command in
> DOS, but I haven't been able to get an equivalent route add command working
> for FreeBSD.  I would like to know where I'm getting it wrong.

You should just default-route it to your gateway.  You'll have to bounce
off the upstream to reach your off-net boxes.  If they were all the same,
the net route ifconfig creates when you set up your NIC would cover them.

> The only way I've been able to see B from A (or C from A) is to set the
> netmask on A's de0 to 255.254.0.0 and broadcast to <A.ip.255> so that I get
> a routing table of:
> Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
> 24/15              link#1             UC          0        0      de0
> gw                 0:40:5:43:34:24    UHLW        0     7937      lo0
> <B.ip>             0:0:c0:8c:8b:93    UHLW        0        2      de0   1183

In this case, you're supernetting the two upstream subnets.  You'll have
trouble getting to other subscriber's machines on the same two-class C
supernet you've created, but it won't have to bounce off the router to
reach your local boxen.

The other, easier solution is to use the FreeBSD box as a gateway and NAT
the other two boxen behind it.  If you're paying per-IP this cuts your
costs.

In sum, since this isn't properly addressed, you'll have to bounce off the
upstream router to readdress the packets so you can reach your other
workstations.

I'd push heavily to get new IPs that are on the same subnet, or take my
NAT advice.

Doug White