Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:20:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Eric F Crist <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
Cc:        Derrick <dmacpher@vfs.com>
Subject:   Re: Move to <insert here> mail server? WAS Re: Sending mail gets	'Relaying Denied' from off network.

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Eric F Crist wrote:

> OK, I'm tired of trying to configure sendmail.  I think I give up.  I've hear
> postfix and qmail recommendations the most.  I need a mail server that can do
> a couple of things for me:
>
> 1) Host multiple domains on the same server
> 2) Easy user management and control (quotas?)
> 3) I NEED MY SPAM ASSASSIN
> 3) Webmail recommendation for this mail server.
> 4) Your love and support with what I choose... ;)
>
> Sendmail, since I've used it heavily, has become too much of a burden for me.
> Please reply with a 'vote' and possibly and howtos or 'change-over'
> instructions.  If you all recall, I've failed this once before.

They'll all do this. Personally: exim (actually, multiple exims, but
I've a rather unusual setup) as MTA, cyrus as mailstore, MailScanner in
queue-to-queue mode, and silkymail as webmail client.

Unfortunately, depending on how you want to manage your users, cyrus is
one of the "heavier" imap servers out there. I love it to bits but it
can be tricky to get exactly right. You will need some scripting to tie
your directory/authentication to cyrus quotas.

You'll probably get the same story with most roll-your-own setups. There
are a number of products that claim to be email "appliances" and you
might look at those, depending on how much preexisting infrastructure
you've got for managing virtual domains and users.

Axioms speak louder than words.