Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 08:27:06 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ye' olde IDE drive problems...

Doug White wrote:

> > The rest? - should there be any rest?  - That's the line that
> > /stand/sysinstall issues to format the partition! ;-)
>
>  No device to format is specified.  Usually you just run `newfs
> /dev/rwd0s1a' or whatever device you want to format.

Oops... Thats what happens when you copy the stuff from Sysinstall (Hard to
beleive I know what I'm doing!)...

> > > You need to enable your ide controller; it's not responding to interrupts.
> >
> > Peripherals | Onboard IDE Controller: Both
>
> You just told me you turned it off... That would imply that the > controller is disappearing.  That is not good.

No, what's actually happening is: The IDE controller is enabled in the
Peripherals section of the BIOS, the BIOS's hard drive table (i.e. Drive C: =
Not installed, Drive D: = Not installed) means the system will not try to boot
off the IDE drive, and will continue to boot from the SCSI - and FreeBSD (when
it's installed it's driver) will let me use the IDE - as it's not booting from
the IDE it doesn't need the geometry from the BIOS (aka Dangerously Dedicated
etc.)

> > Does the IDE driver just giveup after a timeout or something? - the machine
> > gets rapidly unstable after that...
>
> It doesn't like the IDE controller going on vacation; you loose swap and
> thus chunks of processes.  SCSI can put up with it a little better.

Hmmm... This doesn't really apply to me as my root filesystem, swap - in fact
everything the system needs is on SCSI, not ide... I could understand the
system going south if the swap / root filesystem disappeared. but not when
just the IDE controller / drive is giving it grief...

_ANYWAY_

The good news is I solved the problem... Looking through LINT I decided to
fiddle with the flags for wdc0... The drive will hapily work with 'Multi-Block
I/O' on (the drive reckons it supports 16 block mode), but not with 32 bit
transfers on.

As soon as 32 bit transfers are on - the system gets Interrupt Timeouts etc.

I'm not really worried about 32 bit transfers at the moment, they would be
nice (and the old drive I used to use on the system must have supported them -
as they were still in my kernel config), but I can wait...

Thanks for your help Doug!

Regards,

Karl