Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 20:12:53 -0800
From:      Scott Blachowicz <sab@seanet.com>
To:        "Jeff Buseman" <jeff@netronix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Natd Support for Microsoft PPTP / VPN using protocol 47

"Jeff Buseman" <jeff@netronix.com> wrote:

>    Finally, my question(s) is this:  Is there some way to make NATd
> do the translation on this protocol, or does it only handle TCP and
> UDP traffic?   If so, is there some other way to get the MS PPTP in
> through the firewall to an unregistered network, or has someone
> hacked the NATd code to support MS PPTP?   Or, how is everyone else
> providing MS VPN through their firewall?

Sorry to reply with a "I don't know, but I'd like to", but...

I WAS trying to do PPTP thru a FreeBSD-2.2.2 PPP connection to my ISP (with
-alias turned on to do the address translation) and couldn't get it to work
(it would timeout in the "Verifying username and password..." part, if I
remember correctly).  I ended up getting a subnet (read: "real" IP addresses)
for the system(s) behind my FreeBSD box and turned off the aliasing and now it
works.

Scott Blachowicz
sab@seanet.com