Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:29:52 +0100
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        "Jack Vogel" <jfvogel@gmail.com>, "Danny Braniss" <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: em blues

Jack Vogel wrote:
> On 10/11/06, Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>> the box is a bit old (Intel Pentium III (933.07-MHz 686-class CPU)
>> dual cpu.
>> running iperf -c (receiving):
>>
>> freebsd-4.10    0.0-10.0 sec    936 MBytes    785 Mbits/sec
>> freebsd-5.4     0.0-10.0 sec    413 MBytes    346 Mbits/sec
>> freebsd.6.1     0.0-10.0 sec    366 MBytes    307 Mbits/sec
>> freebsd-6.2     0.0-10.0 sec    344 MBytes    289 Mbits/sec
> You arent measuring em, you're measuring RELEASES on
> your hardware, is this a surprise on a P3, no.
>
> I still do 930ish Mb/s on a P4 with a PCI-E or PCI-X adaptors
> running 6.1, in fact can do that with a 4 port adaptor I believe.

Old hardware or not I'd say they are interesting results as
there should be no real reason why we need the most up to
date hardware not to loose out on performance.

Out of interest Danny how do the various OS compare when
using a single CPU kernel?

    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.