Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:26:03 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Matthias Trevarthan <trevarthan@wingnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony AIT tape position question

In the last episode (Oct 30), Matthias Trevarthan said:
> I have a Sony AIT tape drive (one of the nifty 4 tape autoloaders):
> TSL-SA300C.  It has a nice little display on the front that indicates
> the tape's "wound" status. When the tape is fully rewound, the bar
> graph is full. When the tape is fully recorded, or wound, the bar
> graph is empty.
>
> Is there any way that I can detect this programmatically? I would
> like my scripts to be intelligent enough that they can approximate
> the size required for a dump, and the size left on the tape.

That's difficult.  There definitely isn't any standard SCSI command for
pulling this info.  Sony might provide it in a vendor-specific modepage
(readable with the "camcontrol modepage" command; you can decode
vendor-specific pages by adding entries to /usr/share/misc/scsi_modes).
See if you can find a technical manual for the AIT drive.

> (I would also like to detect which tape I have loaded at any given
> point, but I suspect that is outside the bounds of standard SCSI
> communication. I'd probably need some proprietary code to do this...)

If your autoloader has a barcode scanner, you can read the labels with
the "chio status" command.

> When I use the 'mt' command with 'rdspos' I get a block number. Would this
> number be useful in determining how wound the tape is? If so, how would I go
> about interpreting this as a percentage or as a byte volume?

rdspos gives you the logical scsi block number, which doesn't mean much
if your tape does hardware compression, since a tape full of zeros will
have more logical blocks on it than a tape full of zip files.  rdhpos
might work better, if the tape drive actually ends up writing
fixed-size blocks to tape.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com