Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 19:14:10 -0400
From:      Leo Papandreou <leo@talcom.net>
To:        Gurpratap Singh <GSingh@exodus.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: http

On Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 12:34:57PM -0700, Gurpratap Singh wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> Does anybody know how to tune the tcp/ip parameters on BSD .
> If i do netstat -b, i see lot of connections in TIME_WAIT state.

That's common on web servers because clients routinely interrupt
their browser mid-transfer. It shouldnt be a problem for if you
have enough NMBCLUSTERS in your kernel. If netstat -m displays
greater than "75% in use", you dont.

Networking code in -STABLE is second to none. I seriously doubt
you need to tweak anything beyond the NMBCLUSTERS. TIME_WAIT is
a feature.