Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:10:13 -0500
From:      Hurf Sheldon <hurf@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Steve Curry <scurry505@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS performance tweaking

Assuming you don't have a network or card
problem ( a quick look with netstat or at switch statistics for
collision counts on affected systems can indicate a problem)
Try this:
Run `dmesg` and see if you have any messages
from nfsgetpages or re: nmbuf(?) - if so (or in any case),
upping "MAXFILES" and  "NMBCLUSTERS"
in the kernel may fix  the problem. You can also do
both by increasing "MAXUSERS", which is used
as a seed in allocation macros.

If you have a dmesg entry  "ICMP_BANDLIM "
you may want to take this out of the kernel and see if
the problem goes away - we had a similar problem with a 3.2
based NFS server and after some digging around decided (for
a good reason not recalled) that it was best on a heavily used NFS
server
to not have "ICMP_BANDLIM "  in the kernel.

(I'm assuming that you are familiar with building a kernel. If not
it is easy to learn either from the handbook or the web pages
or I'd be happy to send you pointers [which is has it's own
risks ] )
hurf

Hurf Sheldon
Dir. Research Systems