Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 08:40:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sean Noonan <snoonan@cx952600-a.fed1.sdca.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        snoonan@cx952600-a.fed1.sdca.home.com
Subject:   4.3-STABLE, Amanda, and HP SureStore 12000E 4mm DAT changer--HELP!

Dear listers:

Struggling with getting Amanda 2-4.2-p2 from ports collection up and
running on a FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE boxen with a HP SureStore 12000E 4mm DAT
changer.  Have resolved many, many issues, but still strugling with a
few.  Hope someone can help.

1. Whilst trying to test amanda under the userid 'operator', could not do
so without first changing operator entry in passwd file from /sbin/nologin
to a valid shell.  Error message was "this account is currently disabled
(or something similar).  Is this kosher, security-wise?

2. Likewise, could not run 'amtest' under operator account without first
doing a 'chown operator.operator /dev/ch0'.  Is this copastetic?  Any
possible implications, security-related or otherwise?

3. In the amanda.conf file, they have a sample 'tapedev' entry for a HP
SureStore 1200E.  I'm wondering if this is a typo and it should be really
read 12000E (extra zero in there?).

4. Assuming that #3 above is really a typo and it should have read HP
SureStore 12000E, should I use that or should I use the 'HP DAT'
entry?  The drive is a HP C1553A 9503.

5. Assuming the non-rewinding tape device is 'nrsa0', correct?  And the
rewinding device is 'sa0'?

6. In the /dev directory, there are entries for 'nrsa0.0', 'nras0.1',
'nrsa0.2', and 'nrsa0.3'.  Are these different instances of 'nrsa0' which
correpsond to slots in the changer?  If so why aren't there entries for
'nrsa0.4' and 'nrsa0.5'?  Afterall, it's a six-slot changer?  Do I need to
manually make these devices?  If so, how?

7. What's the difference between '/dev/ch0' and '/dev/passX'?  When
is the use of each appropriate?

7. My biggest problem thus far is finding a "changer glue script" that
works with the HP SureStore 12000E.  I've tried chg-chio, chg-mtx,
chg-manual, chg-everthing.  The only thing I haven't tried, and my guess
is that it *would* work, is chg-scsi.  Apparently it's broke since FreeBSD
switched to CAM?  I notice the Makefile for the port has references to
chg-scsi remarked out.  I searched the archives and found conflicting
reports of chg-scsi working with FreeBSD.  One reference said chg-scsi has
been broke since the introduction of CAM.  Another contradicted that one
and said that the author had since fixed the problem.  Don't believe this
to be the case, since chg-scsi didn't build automatically.  Tried manually
making chg-scsi, but got numerous errors.  Can post errors to the list if
anyone wants to see them.

I guess the best thing that could happen is for someone to post or send me
their WORKING configuration of FreeBSD 4.3, HP SureStore 12000E, and
Amanda 2.4.2-p2.  Anybody got this combo out there???

TIA,

Sean Noonan