Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:27:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.1/4.0, the alpha, and a dog named blue...

Hello all,

I've been running FreeBSD on several alpha's now for about two months.
I'm elated that I no longer have to kiss the arse of the Linux god to get
useful CPU cycles out of these machines.  Thanks all for the hard work and
a hearty job well-done the the alpha porters.

I realized I may get flamed for asking something like this, but since I
honestly don't know, I'm gonna ask:  Where should a person looking to
get relatively stable (read -stable ;) performance from an alpha be?

I know the answer may still be 'not on FreeBSD' at this point, but I've
been very impressed with the stability of the last few snaps.  I'm really
wondering whether new bug-fixes/enhancements/functionality in the alpha
stuff is finding it's way back into the -stable branch, as all of the
latest snap's are from -current which has had some ffs/vm related problems
of late.

If it's just a matter of taking the last 3.x alpha snap and tracking
-stable via CVS that's fine, it's just not apparent that that's the "Right
Thing to Do" (tm).

Cheers all and thanks for the guidance!

- Bruce

Bruce M. Walter, Principal