Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 14:29:23 -0500
From:      "William E. Baxter" <web@superscript.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getpeereid() syscall patch for FreeBSD 4.0

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 11:28:16AM -0700, Peter Wemm wrote:

> Passing only one gid is nearly useless.  You should copy them all or not
> at all.  I would like to see real and effective uid's as well.

Completeness certainly has its appeal, but is it necessary?  What can
you not accomplish without the additional information?

> about the case of changing uids?  Do you give it the current uid or the uid
> at time of connection?  SCM_CREDS has the ability for the client to
> authenticate at exactly the right time and without ambiguity.

I need only connect()-time ID (but cannot wait for the client to
provide it) and chose effective uid and gid.  If the client changes
its ID before or after calling connect(), so be it.  If one cares,
there is always SCM_CREDS.

Regards,
W.