Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:12:15 -0800
From:      jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
To:        "N.J. Thomas" <njt@ayvali.org>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ntpd configuration file changes

On Dec 12, 2007, at 9:57 PM, N.J. Thomas wrote:

> * jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net> [2007-12-12 20:42:47-0800]:
>> Q: When making changes to ntp.conf it is necessary to restart the
>> server?
>
> According to the ntpd docs, yes. The ntpd configuration docs say this:
>
>     Ordinarily, ntpd reads the ntp.conf configuration file at startup
>     time in order to determine the synchronization sources and
> operating
>     modes.
>
>> Q: How is that done?
>
> On FreeBSD, it is typically done via "/etc/rc.d/ntpd restart".
>
>> (I suspect ntpd reload or restart per rc script.. along the lines of
>> apachectl restart or postfix reload??? Kill -HUP pid ??? ) I am
>> looking at FreeBSD handbook and ntp documentation and have not found
>> the answers.
>
> See the "Using rc under FreeBSD" section of the Handbook:
>

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
> configtuning-rcd.html
>
> It is based on Luke Mewburn's excellent NetBSD rc.d system. See the
> document, "The Design and Implementation of the NetBSD rc.d system"
> (PDF) here, it is an excellent read:
>
>     http://www.mewburn.net/luke/bibliography.html
>
> Thomas
Thank you for your reply:
I missed it in the ntp docs I have. But maybe I was reading to fast
and impatiently.
I asked these questions because I switched the configuration file
that has all the tier 2 server listed to another machine and let the
remaining machines get time from it. So, now I can get on with it.
Jeff K