Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:55:24 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pinging Firewall

Hi!

I recently had a discussion about being pings harmful to security.
(I'm preparing some material for lectures about e-commerce, part of it
being internet security)

Question: In which ways does a firewall handles pings?

And, more important, in which phase of the TCP/IP receiving process of the
ping may it be blocked?

I thought of the risk about being pingflooded, and had some discussion if
it is possible to block that...

From my view, several scenarii came to mind:

Ping comes it, and is routed to the destination (normal operation)
Ping arrives, and is recognized as a ping, and is dropped, with no answer
to originating system.

Ping arrives, and is not even recognized, handled etc, but simply dropped...
Is that possible? (Speaking of technical possibility, not of potential
violation to RFC)

It was in a discussion to minimize the risk of being pingflooded..

Comments?

Regards
Olaf Hoyer

--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)