Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 22:40:22 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Frequent redials since upgrading to 3.2-STABLE.

> Hi,
> Ever since I installed 3.2-STABLE (I used to have 2.2.8-STABLE) the modem
> redials frequently.  I am using ppp -alias -auto.  I was using current ppp
> sources when I was on 2.2.8-STABLE.  Also, I have the timeout set to 30
> minutes.
>
> All I would like to know, is there a way to log what is dropping the line,
> whether it's my ISP or if it's ppp.
>
> I am more apt to believe that it is a problem on the isp's end and not mine
> but would like some verification if at all possible.

Try ``set log phase lcp ipcp'' and then look for the Terminate
messages.  If you see a SendTerminateReq first, ppp is terminating,
if you see RecvTerminateReq first, the peer is terminating and if you
see Disconnected! first, the line is losing carrier.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>