Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 14:00:47 -0400
From:      MetcalJM@utrc.utc.com
To:        jer@jorsm.com
Cc:        metcalf@snet.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Thanks for the reply Jeremy,
Can I ask a few more questions of you?

1. The video card I am considering is described by the
vendor I am using as a "STB nVidia Velocity AGP".
Do you know if this is or is not compatible with the
NVidia Riva 128?  If it is not compatible with the
NVidia Riva 128, do you suspect it is supported
under XFree86?

2.  Are the 3Com or Rockwell you pointed out below
x2 technology of KFlex56?  Are you aware of any
US Robotics x2 internals that work well with FreeBSD?

Regards,
JM

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Jeffrey M. Metcalf wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I'm considering the purchase of a Dell Dimension R333 or R350. My
>> company has Dell as a vendor, and I can get a serious discount.
>> Hopefully somebody out there can verify that FreeBSD is happy with
>> the hardware used in these machines. I have posted to the XFree86
>> newsgroup asking whether or not the STB NVidia AGP video card is
>> supported, but any comments from FreeBSD fellows on this issue is
>> more than welcome.

> XF86 3.3.2 supports the NVidia Riva 128 using the SVGA server. Earlier
> versions needed the server from XSuSe. XSuSe's server is now included
in
> the SVGA server in 3.3.2.

>> Finally, the modem included is called a "WinModem 33.6/56K modem".
>> I have my doubts and might upgrade that to a US Robotics x2 unless
>> anybody out there can verify good performance with this WinModem
>> stuff.

WinModems only "work" with Windows. And badly. Get an external V.90
(3Com or Rockwell, you choose. 3Com is better, but go with what your
provider uses.)