Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 13:16:47 -0500
From:      Chris Costello <chris@holly.dyndns.org>
To:        Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jordan the Confused (Was: Jordan The Evil!)

On Mon, Apr 19, 1999, Mike Avery wrote:
> I wish I could say Brett were wrong.  As a product reviewer for
> InfoWorld (1) I deal with a lot of vendors (2).   And when they tell
> me they have a cross platform product covering NT, NetWare, and
> Unix, I ALWAYS ask, "which flavors of Unix - do you do any of the
> free Unices?".  NO ONE has told me they support FreeBSD.  When
> pressed on the matter, and I always ask, the usual response is,
> "what's that?"

   I've never said Brett's type of advocacy was wrong, as far as
I remember.  I've seen some pretty good press release from him.
I've also seen good from Jordan.  I haven't been very ``into''
the advocacy side of things until recently, so I can't say I've
seen anything bad coming from either of them.

   I'm thinking of ways to get FreeBSD more recognition without
practicing the ``bad'' advocacy discussed before.

> They see a lot of progress being made by Linux, and talk about how
> Linux is very popular with ISP's.  My own sampling suggests that
> FreeBSD is even more popular among ISP's, but I don't have hard
> figures (3).  The vendors just haven't heard of FreeBSD.

   The local Micro Center ha[sd] a better FreeBSD selection than
that for Linux.  When I was reading the back of the box sometime
last year around this time (this is when I first got FreeBSD),
two people came buy and looked at Linux, and then bought FreeBSD
instead.  We must be doing something right.

> While I've been using FreeBSD for about 4 years, I'm a FreeBSD
> newbie.  My ISP installed it for me, and it's just been sitting in the
> corner doing it's thing - flawlessly - ever since.  In 4 years, I've had
> to replace the CPU fan and the power supply (it's fan died too).  A
> 133mhz 5x86 with 16 megs of ram has been my link to the internet.
> And more (it's also my SendMail host and my web server).  I'm sold....
> very sold.
>
> I've started looking at FreeBSD and the mailing lists more more
> because I need to upgrade to a more current system and realize I
> need to learn more.

  We need success stories, and we need to get Rob Malda to stop
ignoring the FreeBSD stories.

> (3) If you have hard figures regarding FreeBSD use by ISP's, I'd
> love to see them.  Please send me a pointer, or a copy.

   This is one of the things I'm looking into.  I'm also looking
into a decent figure as to how many large, commercial businesses
are using FreeBSD.

> Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
>                                           (409)-842-2942 (work)
>                                                   ICQ: 16241692
>
> * Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *
>
> A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
> Is that my phone bill or the national debt?

   Yes, it is.

--
Chris Costello                                <chris@calldei.com>

To err is human; to forgive, beyond the scope of the Operating System.