Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 21:09:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Bixby <jzero@netcom.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Tim Moony <timm@uniqsite.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How come startx won't install

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Wed, 11 March 1998 at 23:46:33 -0800, Bill Bixby wrote:

> >> OK, how about some more details.  How are you trying to install?  What
> >> happens?  When do you decide that something is wrong?
> >
> > Well, I'm trying to install X-windows.  But the binaries won't install
> > and the install program doesn't create the X11 directory mentioned
> > in the 'env' path variable.  I choose X-windows, I 'commit', the
> > install program runs for about an hour copying over /bin files, etc.
> > then it stops, asking me if I want to add some last minute packages.
> > I say no, attempt to configure X-windows from the install program,
> > and the install program says X-windows isn't installed.  Bummer!  :(  :(
>
> This is really not nearly enough detail.  Do you have a directory
> /usr/X11R6/bin?  If you do, you need it in your path.  Otherwise tell
> me which install program you mean.  Give me the names of the programs
> you run.  Give me the messages they output.
>
> Greg

No, I don't have a directory name /usr/X11R6/bin on my system.
And I don't even have a directory named /usr/X11R6 or anything
like that (there's a reference to a /usr/X11/bin in the path
variable when I do an 'env' and there is no directory named
/usr/X11 either.  :( Last night I reinstalled just X-user from
/stand/sysinstall via ftp to ftp.freebsd.org/.25/FreeBSD and
when I tried to configure X-windows from the install program it