Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 01:28:28 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Peter Karlsson <peter@perkele.coyote.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Still having problems with FreeBSD

Hi!

I reinstalled FreeBSD as of earlier advice, but I still have problems. This
time, it locates the kernel and boots, but it's unable to locate the root
file system.

* "Boot default" is set to 1:wd(1,a)kernel
* Booting fails with:
  "changing root device to wd1s3a
   panic: cannot mount root"

The FreeBSD partition resides in what Linux calls /dev/hdc3 (third partition
of secondary IDE master), and that partition is divided into a swap and root
file system part for FreeBSD. I believe I put in the swap part first,
followed by the root filesystem (I only created a root filesystem, not any
/usr and similar).

--
\\//
Peter - http://nafmo.home.ml.org/ - ICQ UIN 762719

  HTML is *not* a good idea in e-mail or news messages